SASSI Fisheries Scientist (3 year contractual position based in Newlands, Cape Town)
WWF South Africa is a solution-driven organisation that constructively engages with government, companies and individuals to meet our goal of a sustainable future in which people live in harmony with nature. In over 40 years of conservation work in South Africa, WWF has increasingly played a leading role in facilitating the attitudes of people, business and government towards the environment which has resulted in tangible and lasting conservation outcomes.
• A tertiary post-graduate qualification in a marine and/or conservation related field (specific knowledge around fisheries management and conservation will be advantageous);
• At least 2 years of work experience in multi-disciplinary project management and multi-stakeholder initiatives natural resource management, experience and/or knowledge of Southern African fisheries legislation and stakeholders would be advantageous.
• The successful candidate must be skilled in communications (written and verbal) with strong scientific report writing skills.
• Self-motivated, with strong administrative and project management skills
• Passion for the conservation of nature and the involvement of people and businesses in the implementation of practical solutions to the challenges facing the marine environment;
• Collaborative spirit and ability to work in team settings across cultures and internally within a diverse institution;
• Computer literacy in MS Office (MS Word), spread sheets (Excel), email and presentations (MS PowerPoint);
• Excellent communication skills in English and proficient in at least one other language, Afrikaans or Xhosa
• Valid driver’s license and own transportation essential
To apply for this position, please provide a detailed CV and covering letter fully motivating why you should be appointed, together with the names, current e-mail addresses and telephone numbers of three relevant references to email@example.com. Applications close on 21 Oct 2013.